Keys for Successful Basketball Plays by Mark Chapman
The following are a list of common sense concepts for successful basketball play. Some of these thoughts were picked up from a high school coach and combined with ideas I’ve picked up from college coaches along the way.
– Keep the ball moving on offense; Makes it difficult for defense to guard
– Don’t force your passes; pass away from the defense
– Don’t start every move with the dribble; use the dribble to shorten the pass and attack the basket
– Keep your head up on offense; See the defense
– Look to cut to the open spaces | Successful Basketball Plays
– Pass the ball as your teammate is open not once the defense has recovered
– Talk the game up and show your enthusiasm: it’s contagious
– Any time you can fake your opponent out of position DO IT!
– Be determined to outplay your opponent.
– You’re going to make mistakes, just make sure you don’t repeat them
– Teams are built during the offseason; make sure to invest the proper amount of time with your players from April-July.
– Qualities of a good team | Successful Basketball Plays
Mastery of fundamentals
Always give effort no matter the opponent
The team is mentally tough
Players look out for each other
Team rotates on defense to protect the basket
Listen & respect the coaching staff
– Have confidence in your abilities | Successful Basketball Plays
– Be a valuable player without the ball
– Don’t be caught standing on offense
– Take advantage of your opponent’s weaknesses
– Talk to your teammates on defense
– Look to get your teammates open; this in turn will allow you to get open
– Let you actions talk on offense
Mark Chapman is the Head Boy’s Basketball Coach at Hamilton Township High School in Columbus, Ohio. Coach Mark Chapman always has great basketball plays and basketball coaching clinic notes to share with the basketball coaching world. Make sure that you check out his basketball X’s and O’s material. You will love some of his coaching ideas.
Click on the pdf link to download the basketball plays: