Favorite Zone Offensive Sets of 2021
Zone defenses can cause problems for the offense. They can slow your offense down and neutralize advantages found against man-to-man defenses. Zone defenses aim to:
- Slow the offense- both ball and player movement
- Protect players with foul trouble
- Protect poor defenders
- Opponents are less prepared to play against zone
- Rest players by not making them work as hard
- Take away the dribble offense
- Protect the paint and force more outside shots
Here are some favorite zone offensive sets that can be used to effectively attack zones:
- Attack early. Get the ball up the floor quickly and look for early opportunities to score before the defense can get set. This is helped if you can get stops on the other end and not have to take the ball out of the net.
- Get the ball to the corners/baseline. This helps flatten out the defense. Utilizing the deep and short corners can soften the defense and make it easier to move the ball around the perimeter.
- Play inside-out
- Find the gaps. Find the space where the bodies ain’t.
- Move the ball and bodies. Zone defense can have a tendency to slow ball and player movement. That is playing right into their hands. Must shift the defense with ball and player movement. Both screening and cutting can be highly effective.
Own the offensive glass. Since no one is assigned to a specific player in zone defense, the offense is not marked when the shot goes up. The offense must take advantage of this.